Certificate of Origin
What is a Certificate of Origin?
A Certificate of Origin (COO) is an important international trade document attesting that goods in a particular export shipment have been wholly obtained, produced, manufactured, or processed in a particular country. It is also a declaration by the exporter.
Virtually every country in the world considers the origin of imported goods when determining what duty will be assessed on the goods, or in some cases, whether the goods may be legally imported at all. The 1923 Geneva Convention named Chambers of Commerce the official body to issue, sign, and stamp Certificates of Origin worldwide.
Certificate of Origin Steps:
- The Bellevue Chamber will only seal completed COOs. The proper Certificate of Origin must be completely filled out and notarized prior to presenting it to the Bellevue Chamber.
- The business who submits a COO to the Bellevue Chamber must also include corresponding manufacturer invoices, shipper affidavits, and any other documents that confirm the origin of the goods. The product information that is listed must match the product on the invoice. Do not leave off product numbers, quantities, or descriptions.
- Copies of these documents, including the COO, will be kept by the Bellevue Chamber for a period of three years. A copy of the COO and pertaining documents must be provided by the business requesting the COO.
Certificate of Origin requests will be processed during Chamber office hours and authorized at the Chamber’s office located at 330 112th Ave NE, Ste 300, Bellevue, WA 98004. Requestors are urged to submit COOs prior to the day of shipment to allow time for processing. COO requests are coordinated by Talaesha White.
1. The Bellevue Chamber only attests to the documents as they are presented — it is not attesting to the validity of the claim of where the goods were produced. Furthermore, the Bellevue Chamber will not be held liable if the U.S. Company does not present all of the appropriate documentation needed for international importation or exportation, or any other reason that may result in the company’s shipment being held at foreign customs.
2. The Bellevue Chamber does not process certificates of origin for goods originating outside of the United States.
3. A member with the Bellevue Chamber of Commerce will be charged $10 per COO; multiple copies can be stamped and sealed as long as they are for the same invoice. A non-member of the Bellevue Chamber of Commerce will be charged $45 per COO to stamp and seal.